Saturday, November 24, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23: Summary

I can't believe I managed to finish by the deadline! This experience has taught me that my time management skills have not improved much since my college days (I pulled many "all nighters" to finish papers on time). Despite my desire to follow the weekly outline of the 23 Things program, I have completed most of the program in the past two days, just in time for the deadline. I seem to work best under pressure, although I wish I had been able to spend more time over the past couple of months on some specific parts of the program. It has been a very worthwhile experience, and I feel more comfortable now with some of the new technologies. Although there are some that may not be useful to me personally, it is good to know what exists. I don't know that I had a favorite discovery or exercise, but the concept of tagging and the various ways it can be used was very enlightening. I also enjoyed the techical aspects of linking various accounts and uploading photos and videos to my blog.

It has been interesing reading about the debate over use of some of these technologies. We have a disclaimer to send to customers when we send something from Wikipedia in a chat session. Yet wikis can be an excellent method for conveying and updating information within a professional organization, for example. Blogs can also be a valuable collaborative tooI or a method of keeping a chronological record of a process. However, they can easily be misused by those who want to force their opinions on others. I think the important thing is to pick the correct tool for the correct purpose.

Although some of these new technologies are fascinating and enable anyone to easily have a wealth of information available in blogs, RSS feeds, etc., I wonder how many people actually have time to read all of the information they acquire. I have enough trouble keeping up with my email. There are some tools that I will definitely use, such as Del.icio.us, and others that may be useful for helping AskUsNow customers needing information that might be contained in blogs or best found with tags. I don't foresee any use for avatars or Rollyo, however.

It has been enjoyable to read about the variety of ways that libraries are adapting the Web 2.0 technologies. Now that I am more aware of the available tools, I will be considering how they might be applied to improve our library services. I am glad that I was able to complete this program and would like to participate in any future discovery programs like this. My only recommendation would be that a realistic time estimate be associated with each item. If I had realized how long each thing would take, I might have made a greater effort to start sooner and pace myself better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.